- 2 medium sized aubergines.
- 3-4 tbsp cooking oil (mustard oil is amazing for this dish)
- 1 tsp. brown/black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. chilli powder
- 2-3 dry red chillies, broken up into 2-3 pieces each
- 12-15 curry laves, if you can find some
- Slit the aubergines lengthways. Leave the stalks intact, just trimming the dry/stale ends.
- Place aubergines in a bowl, sprinkle turmeric, salt and chilli powder on to. Mix well and keep aside for an hour or so.
- Heat oil in a wok or karahi/kadhai.
- Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add curry leaves and whole chillies. Stir for a few seconds and then add aubergines.
- Stir fry on medium to moderate heat until aubergines are cooked. This will take 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of aubergines.
- Lift off into a serving dish, using a slotted spoon, leaving any excess oil in the wok.
- Serve hot. This dish is best when served immediately after it is cooked.